International / Overseas students

English language level

Please note, we recommend that volunteers who are not native English speakers have an IELTS score of 7.5 or higher. This is to ensure that all our pupils get the best quality tutoring possible. It is also to ensure that all our volunteers feel comfortable and confident to teach. If you don't have a score of 7.5, please email the Coordinator to discuss.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Card

For the right to study or live in the UK for longer than 6 months, you are often required to obtain a BRP.  You’ll get a BRP automatically if your visa or immigration application to the UK is approved, or you’re replacing an older document. If you have obtained a BRP, you will have already undergone the checks Jacari requires, and we will be able to process your application. More information on the BRP can be found here.



You might need to provide a suitable reference for the Coordinator before you begin tutoring.​ This reference should be from a previous/present employer or tutor, preferably from your overseas location. This should be a standard character reference. Your referee cannot be related to you, or a family friend.

Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC)


A Certificate of Good Conduct is the name commonly given to an overseas DBS check, but can vary depending on the embassy from which it is sought, including Certificate of Clearance, and Certificate of no Criminal Conviction.

The application process varies from country to country, and you will have to apply in the country or to the relevant embassy in the UK. You can find guidance for applying for criminal records checks from overseas here. You may also wish to contact the police authorities in the area in which you stayed. Jacari can provide you with a letter explaining why the check is needed if this is required by the embassy or police authority.

Once you have applied for your CGC, you should inform the Coordinator via email and provide proof of your application so that you may proceed with your tutoring. If you fail to provide the final CGC within 3 months, you will not be allowed to continue tutoring. 


Translation and related expenses


  • You should request that the Certificate of Good Conduct be issued in English, or obtain a certified translation of the certificate. If this is not possible please let us know.

  • Occasionally, embassies will require a small payment for a Certificate of Good Conduct to be processed - you will be expected to cover this cost, but please let us know if this is an issue. 

  • Request evidence that the application has been made, if not detailed on the receipt.

  • You should submit the receipt (and other evidence the application has been made) to us as soon as possible after making your application.

  • On receiving the Certificate of Good Conduct, you must send us a copy (clear photo or scan to the Coordinator email), in order to proceed with the volunteering process.

DBS checks

All volunteers need to get a DBS check done. Anyone who has lived abroad for more than 3 months in the past 5 years, including students who have had a year abroad, are required to undergo further checks in order to become a Jacari volunteer. See the flowchart below to determine which checks apply to you. If you have any questions, please just email the Coordinator.​​​


01865 264167  

16 - 17 Turl Street, Oxford,



0117 3257913

7 Unity Street, Bristol,



Registered Charity No. 1177211

Registered charity number: 1177211